Difference between n_object, n_objectcore & n_objecthead

Guillaume Quintard guillaume at varnish-software.com
Wed Feb 3 09:49:06 CET 2016

>From bin/varnishd/cache/cache_hash.c:

 * We have two kinds of structures, objecthead and object.  An objecthead
 * corresponds to a given (Host:, URL) tupple, and the objects hung from
 * the objecthead may represent various variations (ie: Vary: header,
 * different TTL etc) instances of that web-entity.

And from bin/varnishd/cache/cache.h:

 * Objects have sideways references in the binary heap and the LRU list

 * and we want to avoid paging in a lot of objects just to move them up

 * or down the binheap or to move a unrelated object on the LRU list.

 * To avoid this we use a proxy object, objcore, to hold the relevant

 * housekeeping fields parts of an object.

 */

--
Guillaume Quintard