Stale-while-Validate for varnish

Per Buer perbu at varnish-software.com
Mon Jun 4 17:10:29 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Richard <rzuidhof at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Arun Dobriyal <
> arundobriyaliitkgp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> 1. I want a state-while-revalidate feature(available in some reverse
>> proxies like squid) for my varnish server.  In a normal setting with the
>> grace time, the varnish
>>
>> makes the first client to wait while the other clients are served stale
>> content. But I want all clients to be served stale
>>
>> content, while the refereshing of the cache is done at the background
>> asychronously (that way no one is kept at waiting) by varnish.
>>
>> Varnish doesnt support this as of now.. Is there any tweak to achieve it ?
>>
> No, this is not supported. I have heard it is bit too complicated to
> implement and that the current functionality is good usually enough so
> there is not much request for it.

Current behavior in git master is to use a separate thread against the
backend. This will make it easy, or at least much easier, to implement
asynchronous requests like these. So, with a fair bit of patience we might
implement something like this after the next major release.

--
Per Buer
Phone: +47 21 98 92 61 / Mobile: +47 958 39 117 / Skype: per.buer