Hits + Misses <> client requests

Alexander Kabenin a.kabenin at ngenix.net
Mon Oct 24 10:00:21 CEST 2011

Dear list,

I was trying to figure out a hit ratio of two varnish caches
configured as a chain:

Customer -> Varnish A -> Varnish B -> Backend.

My idea was to use Customer requests number from Varnish A and Cache
Misses of Varnish B.
(This scheme is simplified from my real installation, I use several
Varnish A's and Varnish B's).

I get figures from varnishstat. And I've discovered some weird numbers:

client_req             104764         0.04 Client requests received
cache_hit                7392         0.00 Cache hits
cache_hitpass               0         0.00 Cache hits for pass
cache_miss              13444         0.01 Cache misses

I was sure that the sum of cache_hit + cache_hitpass + cache_miss
should be equal to client_req. But my stats are far from that.
Furthermore, my client_req is not equal to number of records in the
NCSA log (client_req is always greater).

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

--
Regards,