Varnish drops connections and make several HTTP 206

Tollef Fog Heen tfheen at varnish-software.com
Fri Oct 7 08:54:30 CEST 2011

]] Kurt Kraut

| I've already reported this on Varnish 3.0 and I waited to test it on Varnish
| 3.0.1 and the behaviour is the same. The majority of HTTP GET of files
| larger than 1mb are constantly interrupted and restarted with HTTP 206. Here
| is a sample collected from varnishncsa:

206 is «Partial Content» which we send if we get a request with Range
headers.

| This was an iPhone watching a MP4 video, but this also happens with curl,
| wget, Firefox, anything I've tested.

Can you please provide varnishlog + command line from a run with curl
that shows the problem?

[...]

| 3) Does anyone suggest a workaround for this?

sub vcl_recv {
  unset req.http.Range;
}

that'll increase the amount of bandwidth clients are consuming, though.

Cheers,
--
Tollef Fog Heen
Varnish Software