Child Process Killed

Tejaswi Nadahalli nadahalli at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 22:10:20 CET 2011

Thanks for the detailed explanation of why the OOM Killer strikes. I have
dome some reading about it, and am tinkering with how to stop it from
killing varnishd.

What I am curious about is - how did the OOM killer get invoked at all? My
python process is fairly basic, and wouldn't have consumed any memory at
all. When varnish reaches it's malloc limit, I thought cached objects would
start getting Nuked. My LRU nuke counters were 0 through the process. So,
instead of nuking objects gracefully, I had a varnish-child-restart. This is
what I am worried about. If I can get nuking by reducing the overall memory
footprint by reducing the malloc limits, I will gladly do it.

Do you think that might help?

-T

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Thiago Figueiro <TFigueiro at au.westfield.com