Varnis and virtual hosts

Per Buer perbu at varnish-software.com
Sun Jan 30 16:20:09 CET 2011

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 4:12 PM, Chris Johnson
<johnson at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> wrote:

>     VERY new to varnish (2.0.5) here.  I need to pass some virtual host
> requests through to the Apache serverbwhich is set up to serve them.
> I've read the wiki.

I would recommend you read through Using Varnish -
http://www.varnish-cache.org/docs/master/tutorial/index.html it will
answer most of your questions and give you a good understanding.

>  Nto sure but I THINK I need something like this in
> vcl_rev
>
> if (req.http.host ~ "^virtual-domain.edu") {
>  return (pass);
> }
>
> Or possibly return(lookup) as I would like this cached.

Ideally Varnish should determine cacheability from the request and
response headers. If you need to override the headers there is
specific information in the tutorial on how to do so.

If you have any comments regarding the tutorial, please voice them here.

Good luck,

Per.

--
Per Buer, Varnish Software
Phone: +47 21 98 92 61 / Mobile: +47 958 39 117 / Skype: per.buer