Varnish with squid backend

Laurence Rowe l at lrowe.co.uk
Sat Feb 26 12:27:59 CET 2011

On 25 February 2011 12:08, Indranil Chakravorty
<indranilc at rediff-inc.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using squid for byte range support for playing videos.My initial lands
> up on varnish and then I send a call to squid which acts as myorigin for
> content delivery. I am getting below errors every time I try to callsquid
> and serve that file.
>
> 13 TxHeader c Expires:Wed, 22 Feb 2012 03:26:22 GMT
>
> 13 TxHeader cX-SO-Time: Tue Feb 22 8:56:22 IST 2011
>
> 13 TxHeader cContent-Type: video/flv
>
> 13 TxHeader cLast-Modified: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 11:30:20 GMT
>
> 13 TxHeader cCache-Control: max-age=31536000
>
> 13 TxHeader cContent-Length: 76445689
>
> 13 TxHeader c Date: Fri,25 Feb 2011 11:30:29 GMT
>
> 13 TxHeader cConnection: keep-alive
>
> 13 TxHeader c X-Cache:TCP_MISS
>
> 13Debug c "Write error, len =68400/76446042, errno = Success"
>
> Analysis:
>
> Session traced from Client to Varnish to squid and back.
>
> Client à varnish à squid then
>
> Squid à varnish à client
>
> Everything goes well. Squid sends complete data tovarnish but it inturn does
> not return it back to client which is holding thesession.
>
> I tried modifying some parameters
>
> Param Default Modified
>
> fetch_chunksize 128 [kilobytes] 512
>
> send_timeout 600 [seconds] 1800
>
> sess_timeout 5 [seconds] 600
>
> between_bytes_timeout 60.000000 [s] 120
>
> But did not succeed; is there anything which makes varnishirresponsive;
> since the second request where varnish has cached that data iswell
> responded.
>
> Is there any way where I can make this work on firstrequest?

You need to provide information about the version of Varnish and the
VCL that is being used for this request.

FWIW, I've found Varnish to be a poor fit for caching large media
files which get requested only occasionally as it must read the entire
file in before returning data to the client, so for these I just pipe
the request to the backend nginx server.

Laurence