DDOS

Nicholas_Maesepp at scee.net Nicholas_Maesepp at scee.net
Thu Feb 17 00:13:16 CET 2011

As someone else said best to use a firewall, if you want to use a simple
one just run iptables, since this is only DoS you best to use rate limit
connections per IP, depending on the number of objects etc you should be
able to get away with keeping connections to a fairly low number and not
hampering browsing experience at all. It would need to move to being DDoS
for it to bring it down.

Only cheaty way I can think of doing it in the vcl is to define multiple
backends one with no max_connections and one with a fairly low
max_connections. Define some ip acl's using netblocks. If you feel all of
the hammering comes from china and very little legit web traffic you could
find their netblocks and force them to use the one with a set limit on
.max_connections while others dont have such limits. Vice versa, if you
expect 90% of traffic to be within your own country allow those to connect
to the backend with higher max_connections and have everyone else connect
with a low number. If someone tries to hammer your page it will just
starve those outside your target audience but keep your backend healthy
and your regular visitors fine. Lots of caveats in that and wouldn't
recommend it, purely for science. Definitely use a firewall or other
tools.

Nick