Changing the fetch for virtual hosts.

Chris Johnson johnson at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Mon Feb 7 14:49:26 CET 2011

      Huh.  Well, I think I've done everything everyone said was right.
Here's a snippet of what I have in varnish's default.vcl;

backend freesurfer {
       .host = "127.0.0.1";
       .port = "8080";
}

which happens to be the same place the default backend points to
because this is a different virtual host on the same server.

And in vcl_recv I have;

     if (req.http.host ~ "^sufer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu") {
       set req.http.host = "www.freesurfer.net";
       set req.backend = freesurfer;
     }

which referenes my backend declaration and rewrites the header host
name.

      How do I tell if this is working?  Remember, I'm trying to make
the old virtual host references to sufer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu be keyed
on and fetch from the new virtual host www.freesurfer.net so varnish
doesn't cache everything twice.

      Varnich didn't complain when I restarted it and seems to be
caching.  I'm just not sure what at this point.

Chris Johnson               |Internet: johnson at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Systems Administrator       |Web:      http://www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/~johnson
NMR Center                  |Voice:    617.726.0949
Mass. General Hospital      |FAX:      617.726.7422
149 (2301) 13th Street      |Man's a kind of missing link
Charlestown, MA., 02129 USA |fondly thinking he can think.  Piet Hein

dispose of the e-mail.