Hostnames in backend definition...

david raistrick drais at
Tue Dec 13 18:52:39 CET 2011

Oh.  I did actually have a suggestion, just forgot to give it.

Spin up yet another piece of reverse proxy software that -can- do dns
lookups, and make that your backend on localhost, and point it to ELB.

I haven't tested this (that is, I dont know what software would handle DNS
right - I have tested pound, haproxy, and varnish.  We use nginx, too, but
only to localhost - maybe I can get a chance to try a dns update test).

I've heard good things about perlbal, despite it's name, particularly with
regards to dynamic that's one possibility.

If you do find one that works for you, let us know? :)

david raistrick
drais at