Strategies for splitting load across varnish instances? Andavoiding single-point-of-failure?

BUSTARRET, Jean-francois jfbustarret at tf1.fr
Mon Jan 18 09:53:37 CET 2010

-----Message d'origine-----
> It's probably simplest to paraphrase the code:
>
> 	Calculate hash over full complement of backends.
>	Is the selected backend sick
>		Calculate hash over subset of healthy backends

Let's get back to consistent hashing and it's use...

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't this mean that adding a new varnish instance implies a full rehash ?

This can be a problem for scalability. Memcached clients typically solve this by using consistent hashing (a key stays on the same node, even in case of a node failure or node addition/removal).

Jean-François