avoid force-refresh to backend

Lars Erik Dangvard Jensen lars at dcmediahosting.com
Tue Jun 23 12:04:26 CEST 2009

Hello list,

We have a customer still using Varnish 1.1.2, and they experience slow
backends caused by a force-refresh every 5 minute, which is the TTL set
by the backend itself.

Now actually the backend caches a page itself, and this cache is always
up to date. But when Varnish refreshes its own cache, it makes a force
refresh to the backend causing the backend to regenerate a page from
scratch using a lot of database-queries each time.

Can we avoid Varnish 1.1.2 making a "force-refresh" and instead
request/cache the backend with a normal page visit?

Thanks.

Lars