Purging contents

Paras Fadte plfgoa at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 06:21:34 CET 2009

Hi Poul,

For applying HTTP purge the VCL code specified on
http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/wiki/VCLExamplePurging shows as
following:

sub vcl_recv {

       if (req.request == "PURGE") {
                if (!client.ip ~ purge) {
                        error 405 "Not allowed.";
                }
                lookup;
        }

should it have "else" so that it becomes

sub vcl_recv {

       if (req.request == "PURGE") {
                if (!client.ip ~ purge) {
                        error 405 "Not allowed.";
                }

else {
                lookup;

Also when I telnet to varnish listen port (not the management port) it
seems to close the connection after about 4-5 seconds automatically.
what could be the issue ? Telnetting to management port works fines.

Thanks.

-Paras