[varnish] Varnish, Plone and Apache2

Ricardo Newbery ric at digitalmarbles.com
Wed Jan 21 23:22:25 CET 2009

On Jan 21, 2009, at 1:50 PM, Charlie Farinella wrote:

> I have one site running Plone with lighttpd and Varnish that I set
> up as
> documented here:
> http://bitubique.com/content/accelerate-plone-varnish

IMHO, the vcl generated by the plone.recipe.varnish recipe is superior
to the one on that page.

> I have now been asked to set up others substituting Apache2 for
> lighttpd
> by the developers, but haven't been able to find such detailed
> instructions for Apache2.  I believe I just need to find the Apache
> equivalent for this line from lighttpd.conf:
>
> proxy.server = ( "/VirtualHostBase/" => (
>        ( "host" => "127.0.0.1" , "port" => 6081 ) )
> )
>
> To my understanding something has to listen on port 80, send the
> request
> to Varnish, which then either serves from the cache or sends the
> request
> on to the Zope (Plone) port.
>
> If anyone knows offhand or has some experience with this I'd like to
> hear
> from you.  Is Apache a bad choice for this?

Apache is not necessarily a bad choice.

You will need to use ProxyPass or RewriteRule directives.  The Apache
setup isn't really that much different than the standard Zope/Apache
config.  Plone.org has plenty of docs on this:
http://plone.org/documentation/tutorial/plone-apache
http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/plone-with-apache

You might also want to look into the CacheFu product:
http://plone.org/products/cachefu

Ric