Strange browser hickups with varnish

Christian Wiese morfoh at opensde.org
Wed Jun 18 02:48:10 CEST 2008

Hi Folks,

we're currently evaluating varnish using it to cache all sorts of static
content. It mostly works with minimal configuration, but we are
experiencing really strange browser hangs.

First, the site loads without problem. Then, after clicking a bit
around, the browser (tested: firefox 1.5, 2.0, IE6) hangs while loading
a small JavaScript file. This happens regardless if the script comes
from the cache or not. Once the browser has been into this state, you
can't get it out of it. No reload, no shift-reload, nothing.

However, restarting it works. For a while...

The funny thing is that this seems to be a client thing. When I have a
browser hanging, I can fetch the same file with curl or wget just fine.

Any idea what yould cause that?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Cheers,
Chris