Support for AARCH64

Guillaume Quintard guillaume at varnish-software.com
Thu Mar 12 13:22:52 UTC 2020

Hi,

Offering arm64 packages requires a few things:
- arm64-compatible code (all good in
https://github.com/varnishcache/varnish-cache)
- arm64-compatible package framework (all good in
https://github.com/varnishcache/pkg-varnish-cache)
- infrastructure to build the packages (uhoh, see below)
- infrastructure to store and deliver (https://packagecloud.io/varnishcache)

So, everything is in place, expect for the third point. At the moment,
there are two concurrent CI implementations:
- travis:
https://github.com/varnishcache/varnish-cache/blob/master/.travis.yml It's
the historical one, and currently only runs compilation+test for OSX
- circleci:
https://github.com/varnishcache/varnish-cache/blob/master/.circleci/config.yml
the
new kid on the block, that builds all the packages and distchecks for all
the packaged platforms

The issue is that cirecleci doesn't support arm64 containers (for now?), so
we would need to re-implement the packaging logic in Travis. It's not a big
problem, but it's currently not a priority on my side.

However, I am totally ready to provide help if someone wants to take that
up. The added benefit it that Travis would be able to handle everything and
we can retire the circleci experiment

--
Guillaume Quintard