Collapse libvarnish and libvarnishapi

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi at varni.sh
Thu Mar 17 17:39:36 CET 2016

> It is our internal library.

Yes, this is why I'm suggesting to turn it into a first-class citizen.
By that I meant public and on the default linker's path.

> But if you look carefully, you'll see that we drag a lot
> libvarnish into libvarnishapi already:
>
>         ../libvarnish/vas.c \
>         ../libvarnish/vav.c \
>         ../libvarnish/version.c \
>         ../libvarnish/cli_common.c \
>         ../libvarnish/cli_auth.c \
>         ../libvarnish/vin.c \
>         ../libvarnish/vmb.c \
>         ../libvarnish/vre.c \
>         ../libvarnish/vsb.c \
>         ../libvarnish/vtim.c \
>         ../libvarnish/vnum.c \
>         ../libvarnish/vsha256.c \
>
> So in practice the libraries are less different than you'd think...

Well, I did ask about that once, but didn't get an answer. I don't
remember clearly, maybe a year or two ago on IRC.

The question was about linking against libvarnish instead of embedding
sources files. Last time I checked only varnishd and varnishtest were
linking against libvarnish while the rest would embed whatever they
use.

Why not making libvarnish public and linking against it whenever we
need to use it?

Dridi