Varnish Project migration and mailing lists future

Devon H. O'Dell dho at fastly.com
Wed Mar 9 19:48:28 CET 2016

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 10:11 AM, Geoff Simmons <geoff at uplex.de> wrote:
> On 03/09/2016 06:47 PM, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:
>>
>> I also worry about using SO as a support mechanism. Apart from the
>> concerns that Dridi mentioned, there are other problems with the
>> entire SO model of having questions answered.
>
> To be honest, I only see a number of downsides to SO as a replacement
> for -misc, and one upside: it's an alternative to setting up a new
> mailing list, which is a PITA due to the joys of sendmail.cf and
> combating spam.
>
> And I don't blame phk at all for preferring to avoid that. You want a
> mailing list to Just Work, and not consume a lot of time for
> administration. But there are good reasons for concern that it won't
> turn out that way.

Having worked in email space for a while, I totally agree and
sympathize with this. Had a brief chat with phk regarding this stuff
last week on IRC regarding the overhead of MTA and ML maintenance, and
being a "responsible" email generator. I agree that it's worthwhile to
reduce the overhead of list management. But I think if one of the
lists that gets a chopping block is going to be a support list, there
should be some procedures in place to ease that transition, and not
put the support burden on an anonymous community that may or may not
actually represent Varnish support talent.

--dho