Varnish Improvement Proposals

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Nov 23 10:40:49 CET 2015

As part of the general transition of the project, I have instigated
a new VTLA:  VIP.

Varnish Improvement Proposals are inspired by Pythons PEP process,
for managing significant change proposals, and they live on the
github wiki:

	https://github.com/varnish/Varnish-Cache/wiki/Varnish-Improvement-Proposals

The procedure is that we start ideas and discussions here on -dev,
and if that gels into something I think is viable, I authorize the
creation of a VIP to give the idea "somewhere to live" which is
more manageable than the mail-archive.

A VIP page is *not* a decision or commitment to implement the
proposed improvement, it is simply a tool to work record the idea.

Everybody is welcome to add information, insights and observations
to the VIP wiki pages, but as architect I retain the final word.

VIP's will not be used for small and trivial improvements but only
but only for "serious stuff" which has long term and architectural
implications.

The VIP's will be left behind no matter what, and they should record
the reasoning that lead to whatever the outcome ends up being.

Presently I have created VIP's 1, 2 & 3:

  * VIP1: PRIV_* visibility and lifetime control

  * VIP2: VCL typed functions

  * VIP3: VCL implemented VMODS

We'll try out the new "process" with those before we open too many more.