Set bereq.http.connection:close in vcl_pipe by default

Geoff Simmons geoff at uplex.de
Mon Jan 27 17:03:45 CET 2014

On 01/27/2014 03:07 PM, Lasse Karstensen wrote:
> I'm going through the documentation, and came over our handling of
> "bereq.http.Connection: close" in vcl_pipe. In the builtin VCL
> (previously default.vcl) there is a commented out line that the
> administrator can enable if they want to only do a single request
> per connection.
>
> What I'm struggling with is that we have a good amount of help
> requests and tickets because of this. I think many people must set
> connection:close for pipe to work as they expect. (possibly
> overestimated by me.)
>
> I don't know the history here, but I don't quite understand why we
> don't flip this default and save us/them the trouble?

[...]

> Any takers on the history here? Why do we do it this way?

I can't comment on the history, but I agree that 'Connection: close'
is the reasonable default. I'm pretty sure that I've never had a
situation where I've added return(pipe) but not the connection close.

The most common use case is a large, lengthy upload or download for
which no caching is necessary, and for that you have to end the
session after it's done, if you want to VCL to keep working for
whatever comes next.

Best,
Geoff
- --
** * * UPLEX - Nils Goroll Systemoptimierung

Scheffelstra￟e 32
22301 Hamburg

Tel +49 40 2880 5731
Mob +49 176 636 90917