malloc storage memory leak?

Rogier R. Mulhuijzen drwilco at drwilco.net
Mon Jul 23 17:20:16 CEST 2012

I would go out and drop 700 bucks on 4x16GB for my server if I were you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007952
600336949&IsNodeId=1&name=64GB (4 x 16GB)

22TB of tiles is quite a bit, so maybe go through the logfiles a bit and
see exactly how much having 50G of cache would gain you. And if the
zoomlevel is in the URL of the tiles, I would maybe choose to just cache
the outer N levels, so that inner levels don't blow away the cache of the
outer. Or run two varnishes, one caching outer layers, like I just
described and have a set amount of memory for that, and then run the
second one with a smaller set, just to catch those requests for inner
tiles that somehow are very popular.

Which brings me back to the fact that this is a -dev list (so your
question really doesn't belong here) and I just had an idea.

This separating storage deal, I'm a bit behind on 3/master, so do we have
stevedores exposed to VCL in any way? I recall storage hints, but not sure
if there's anything using that beyond transient?

Anyhoo, it might be worth it to segregate objects by various properties
and not have to run separate varnish instances. :)

Cheers,

 	Doc