Memory barriers

Nils Goroll slink at
Tue May 18 10:12:58 CEST 2010

Hi Poul-Henning and All,

i noticed this:

Once you're at it, it would appear to me that adding differentiated macros for
load/store/both (AMD64: lfence/sfence/mfence) or even more specific macros was a
good idea.

Solaris has membar_consumer_producer for load/store and membar_enter/exit for
the general case:

While membar_enter and exit are the same on AMD64, they are not on SPARC and
probably other RISC:

Apologies if this just bores you, it was just that the commit had triggered my
personal interest and I'm simply sharing what appeared relevant to me.