Preloading Cached Contents into Varnish?

Paul Mansfield paul.mansfield at taptu.com
Tue Jun 15 12:15:28 CEST 2010

On 14/06/10 20:35, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <AANLkTinjTfuJuiXl0rDZcQiKDcUCj74w6YMTMvxx0KF8 at mail.gmail.com>, Joe
> Chen writes:
>
>> I haven't received any reply besides Adrian's one. Is this emailing list
>> active?  I still need someone to point me to a good direction of adding
>> preloaded cache in the storage.
>
> Sorry for the delay.

> This actually is the canonical answer: adding a lot of code to
> Varnish to do what a few lines of script can do, would not make much
> sense.

I have followed this thread with some interest because I read it as a
request to do what Akamai do, namely that when web client fetches the
HTML the cache parses the HTML and fetches the page assets so that when
the client fetches them they are already loaded into the cache; this is
ideal for anyone running a very large web site with lots of dynamic
pages and a huge library of static content which can't all be loaded
into varnish, and where, say, 10% of the items are likely to be very
popular but you don't know which.

However, I see that the OP seems to want simply to pre-seed the cache
with popular content which is unlikely to change.