sendfilev vs writev

Nils Goroll slink at schokola.de
Wed Mar 4 19:50:41 CET 2009

Hi Dag,

> 3) Experience has shown that even when it works, sendfile() does not
>    provide any significant performance improvement unless your working
>    set consists mostly of large (multi-megabyte) objects.

Which wouldn't surprise me as (at least on Solaris) sendfilev and writev both do
scatter-gather writes when used on memory buffers. My understanding is that
sendfilev would only be advantageous if Varnish actually read from file
descriptors rather than from cache buffers.

IMHO, (at least on Solaris) only the cache_pipe code would benefit from
sendfile[v], as at first sight that piece of code seems to loop over read/write.

Nils