Varnish minus VCL?

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Wed Sep 26 11:02:31 CEST 2007

On Sep 25, 2007, at 18:46, Luke Macpherson wrote:

> I'm still kicking around ideas here. I'm trying to think of a solution
> which is workable in the presence of larger numbers of backends, [...]

How many servers do you have that this is a concern?

Have you considered just putting perlbal or a load-balancer appliance
between varnish and your backend servers?  Then the dedicated device
can take care of load-balancing, fail-over and all that fun - and you
can use the management systems there to take backend servers in and
out.   Varnish then will just have to do what it does so well, caching.

  - ask