Varnish crashing in production

Barry Abrahamson barry at automattic.com
Fri May 11 04:31:51 CEST 2007

Hi,

We are currently testing Varnish as a reverse proxy to serve images.
We are running into problems where the varnishd child (and sometimes
parent), will die unexpectedly.  When the child process dies, the
parent restarts it and when the parent process dies, it is restarted
by our monitoring systems.  Sometimes this happens every 5 minutes,
sometimes it can stay running up to 2 hours.  I don't see any pattern
as to when it is failing.  In our development environment, with no
"real" traffic, but the same configuration, we are unable to
replicate the crash.  The vcl file we are using is basically the
default one, except in the fetch subroutine, the we only insert
objects if they have a certain header and pass everything else.  The
core dumps created as a result of the crash all show this:

Program terminated with signal 6, Aborted.
Cannot access memory at address 0x2a9566be08

But I am not really sure where to go from here to track down the
cause of this issue.

I have tried using many different cache sizes -- currently it is set
to 1GB which is less than the amount of RAM in the machine.  The
restarts occur way before the cache is full.  Any help would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,

Barry