tot dumps core

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Jul 14 15:37:23 CEST 2006

In message <ujrejwos58t.fsf at cat.linpro.no>, Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgra
v?= writes:
>"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
>> Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav <des at des.no> writes:
>> > Using 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost didn't help, and using
>> > [::1]:80 doesn't work because the parser doesn't recognize it as a
>> > valid address.
>> That's a good argument against the ':' between host and port.
>> Should we use another separator (' ', '/', ',' or ?) or should we
>> rather add an option for backend portnumber (and if so, which ?) ?
>
>The correct syntax for numeric IPv6 addresses is "[ip]:port".  Is
>there a particular reason why we can't support it with slightly
>smarter parsing code?

I'm simply using getaddrinfo() wherever I can in order to not
have to open that entire kettle of fish.

If "[ip]:port" is ratified, then getaddrinfo() should be taught
about it.

In the meantime I think I will change varnishd to use a ' '
separator so that you could either write:

	-b '[::1]:80'	(if getaddrinfo() learns the trick)
or
	-b '::1 80'	(until then)