[Fwd: Re: My random thoughts]

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Feb 17 14:26:58 CET 2006

In message <ujrfymixi56.fsf at cat.linpro.no>, Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgra
v?= writes:
>"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
>> [acceptor] If we have no hit, the header needs to be analyzed (URL
>> cleanup, rewriting, negative lookup etc etc).  We could use a
>> "sender" thread to do this, but I would rather in order to limit
>> the amount of potentially expensive work we do here.  My initial
>> thought therefore is to put the request into a queue to be dealt
>> with by the "backend" threads.
>
>The header always needs to be analyzed, as it may contain stuff like
>If-Modified-Since, Range, etc.

While those headers are relevant, they are of no use until we have
the object in question, so we don't need to look at them until in
the sender or backend thread.

Since we only have one frontend thread, I want to minimize the amount
of work it does to the absolute minimum.

The number of sender and backend threads are variable and can/will
be adjusted to fit the load.