Varnish 1.0 released

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at linpro.no
Wed Sep 20 19:47:18 CEST 2006

On behalf of the Varnish team, I have the great pleasure and honor of
announcing the release of Varnish 1.0, the first production release of
the Varnish high-performance HTTP accelerator.

When we set out to design and implement a high-performance HTTP
accelerator about a year ago, we knew that we could improve on the
state of the art, but we did not quite realize how much room for
improvement there was.  A year later, we have an HTTP accelerator that
can run at wire speed on cheap off-the-shelf hardware.  The difference
in performance between Varnish and our closest open source competitor
is almost two orders of magnitude.

We are fully aware that Varnish is still a little rough around the
edges, particularly with regard to documentation.  However, we are
confident that the code is sound, and that Varnish is ready to be
deployed in production environments.  We are also confident that the
open source community will assist us in identifying those areas which
require improvement, and we are committed to the continued maintenance
and development of Varnish.

NOTE: At a late stage of the release process, we identified a bug in a
codepath used under high-load situations, which could cause throughput
in such situations to fluctuate, following a sawtooth curve.  We have
therefore rolled a new tarball with version number 1.0.1.

Get Varnish: http://www.varnish-cache.org/

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav