varnish with ssl

Ken Brownfield kb+varnish at slide.com
Wed Apr 7 19:47:22 CEST 2010

This is far-ranging problem that isn't unique to Varnish or SSL.  What is typical of CDNs, load-balancers, and proxies of all sorts is to set a header with the IP of the request *it* received.  That header is then passed down and can be parsed by your upstream.  X-Forwarded-For is the standard header for this, but the format and naming of this header can vary (no pun intended).

You can imagine how fun it is to handle IPs for a client request that goes through a CDN's proxy/cache network, through your load-balancer, then Varnish, then the upstream web server:

Client = 1.1.1.1
CDN = 2.2.2.2
	sets => CDN-Client-IP: 1.1.1.1
LB (e.g., Pound) = 3.3.3.3
	sets => LB-Client-IP: 2.2.2.2
Varnish = 4.4.4.4
	sets => X-Forwarded-For: 3.3.3.3

Your upstream receives the request from 4.4.4.4 with the following headers:
	CDN-Client-IP: 1.1.1.1
	LB-Client-IP: 2.2.2.2

You'll care about the highest level one (CDN-Client-IP in this case), something like:

	IP = CDN-Client-IP or LB-Client-IP or X-Forwarded-For or <TCP connect IP>

Hope it helps,
--
kb

PS: The Pound suggestion is good -- probably a cleaner solution than stunnel given that we're talking HTTP(S).